Sunday, August 24, 2008

The low temperatures robbed Victoria’s bike’s battery of all usefulness. . .


so with the help of our innkeeper and his son, we made a little one-way push start attempt down a gravel road – success!


We bundled up and rode east from Armidale toward the coast, taking another highly-rated road, the Waterfall Way. We stopped in Dorrigo and poked around the national park – our first rainforest visit of the trip.

Looking out from a certain vantage point, we couldn’t see the trees trough the forest.


Needing a closer view, Captain Copernicus did her thing. . .


To the east of Dorrigo the road becomes ideal for motorcycling. Tight turns, great views, well-paved roads. A shot of the bike. . .


and a shot of the view. . .


Heading north, we exited New South Whales and entered Queensland. Passing through Brisbane, we encountered quite a bit of traffic. And then it happened: the spookiest thing that’s ever happened to me on a motorcycle. We had been riding in the left (slow) lane and approached some very slow-moving traffic. Victoria moved over to the right (passing) lane but there was no time for me to move over to fall in with her. I came to a nearly complete stop while a few cars passed, then there was an opening. So I hit the throttle, turned first to the right and ten quickly to the left. I must have been too much on the throttle because the rear end started to slide out to the right - - the back tire must have spun and lost traction - - I fishtailed quite a bit it seemed. I let off the gas a bit, no clutch, no brakes - - I guess it was the right move as the rear came back to center, but then kept going. And soon I was fishtailing to the left. And then back to the right. And then to the left again. It felt like a ‘tank slapper’ except the front wheel wasn’t shifting from side to side, only the back wheel was. All I know is that I kept the front end pointed forward while the back end moved violently from side to side, and very quickly. No damage other then a bit of lost rubber and some bruising on the inside of my knees where the bike hit me, hit me a lot. I was shaken up a little but needed to concentrate on the traffic around me. I did notice that the car behind me gave me quite a bit of space after that. . .

We pulled into a gas station and I asked Victoria, “well, did you see that?” “See what?” she replied. “Oh, nothing. . .”

At the station we met two other riders. Ian told us that he was riding his R1150RT over to Hervey Bay, where the 2008 BMW Safari was to begin the next day. The “rolling rally” was to begin in that town and end up in Cairns - - a schedule very similar to ours. We’d make an effort to meet up with the crew. . .

We also met one of Queensland’s finest, a motorcycle cop. I envied his bike and thought it would make a much more credible vehicle to chase after those who may have stolen Doug’s chair. Plus, my bike could never again be trusted after trying to throw me. So I stole the police bike. Admit it, you’d have done the same thing. . .

No comments: