Sunday, August 3, 2008

I’m writing this evening on a matter of great urgency, a matter concerning a man – an innocent man – who has been done wrong. A matter that has caused this man – our hero – to devote himself to righting the wrong that has been done to him. A matter that has inspired your writer to join our hero’s cause restlessly, devotedly, absolutely.

Troubled to find words to soften the harsh reality of “the matter,” I’ll hope that you can handle the cold truth in its most gut-wrenching form, the haunting pleadings of our hero himself. For now we shall call him Doug.

-------------------------------------------
From: Biv, Douglas G.
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2008 9:44:06 AM
To: {workteam}
Subject: The case of the missing chair

All:
Yesterday when I left the office, my desk chair, that I have had for over 3 years, was at its normal location behind my desk.

This morning there is a different chair behind my desk.

If anyone knows what happen to my original chair, please let me know because the one I now is unacceptable.

I will also talk to other people on the 6th floor to try to get the original chair back.

Douglas G. Biv
Office - 202.555.1212
Cell - 202.555.1213
-------------------------------------------

As you might correctly assume, Doug and I are co-workers. True to his role as an engineer, Doug is meticulous in his detail and engrossed in routine (the technical among you might appreciate that after his flawless implementation of a SONET ring, he was dubbed “Doug of the Rings” - - all hail. . .).

I ask you, what could be more crippling for such a man than to endure the senseless loss of that to which he is closest to at work, his trusty office chair? A chair with which he has shared the challenges, triumphs and tragedies of government telecommunications. A chair that he has come to know for three years. Three Years people, THREE YEARS!!!

When he shared the news, I ran quickly to Doug’s aid.

PB: “Doug! When did you last see your chair!?!?”

Doug: “Yesterday evening Paul, just like I wrote in my email.”

PB: “Ah-ha! I see! So it couldn’t have gotten far, right???”

Doug: “I was hoping that someone took it to a conference room and returned the wrong one by mistake.”

PB: “That’s horrible! Can you describe the chair so I can identify it?”

Doug: “I don’t remember what it looks like. I don’t really look at it, I just sit in it.”

PB: “Oh Doug, this is clearly upsetting you. Are you okay?”

Doug: “Well this replacement chair is a bit uncomfortable. Other than that I’m fine, but I’m pretty busy. Don’t you have any work to do?”

PB: “You bet I do Doug! I’ve got a lot to do. I’ve got to go find your chair!


Doug, seated in an unfamiliar and unwelcome chair.

To be continued. . .

No comments: