Tuesday, August 5, 2008

At the Outback, Victoria and I played it cool (she better than I), as if we weren’t wise to their crooked business model. An operative approached, “hi, my name is Roy and I’ll be your waiter tonight. Can I start the two of you with an appetizer, perhaps a blooming onion?” I blurted, “ha! - no sale buddy – we’re on to you!” Then I replied again, this time actually speaking out loud, “no thanks, just a couple beers for now.” Quick on her toes, Victoria added, “you know, my chair isn’t so comfortable, could we please be reseated?” Brilliant work Victoria – way to make them sweat!

As we moved from chair to chair, Victoria and I assessed each one for it’s “fit.” By the time we’d been seated at each table and every bar stool, we concluded that none were “a match” for Doug – his chair must have traveled more quickly than we. Our think-globally-look-for-Doug’s-chair-locally approach flopped. Big-time.

We discussed the matter further and decided that the big trip was necessary and inevitable. I thought for a moment . . . Victoria would be very important on this mission. Her quick mind would keep us on the right track and her delightful manner and good looks would win the cooperation of others. Also, at 5’2”, she’s small enough that I could toss her into an open second-story window and have her ferret out any clues that may otherwise be sealed behind a locked door. And she could bring her Copernicus super-hero suit and look the part while kicking major butt.

I spoke. Victoria, if you were willing, I think this mission would be most successful if you came along.”

Victoria spoke. “Paul, we’ve been planning this vacation for ages. We’ll have a great time in Australia on out rental motorcycles as we tour the eastern coast. It’s a much needed reward after law school and the bar exam. By the way, would you mind leaving my graduation photo behind?”

I replied. “That’s great news! I’m so glad you’ll join the mission. Hey, here’s an idea – let’s ride motorcycles! And you’ve totally got to bring the Copernicus super-hero suit – that thing is awesome. And this trip is gonna rule!”

Victoria replied. Wait, no, she just smiled and let me ramble on.

Victoria the bike mechanic

A photo of her in the Copernicus suit is pending – watch out, because she kicks ALL SORTS OF ARSE in this thing. . .

No comments: