Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Motorcycle Camp


Between visiting Zion and Death Valley, I had stopped at the Las Vegas BMW motorcycle dealership – no particular reason other than to meet people that love the bikes and might identify with my trip. I mentioned to one person that I was on my way to an off-road riding class in southern California and his eyes doubled in size. “Is it Jim Hyde’s class?” he asked. “Yep!” “Oh, that’s great! I want to hear all about it!” My report follows:

Since childhood, the idea of motocross riding has appealed. My parents weren’t keen on motorcycles, so I made do (quite well I think) with BMX and, later, mountain bikes. I bought my first motorcycle in the late 80’s, shortly after graduating college – it was a cruiser type bike, a Yamaha virago 750. After maybe five years, I put motorcycling on the shelf until 2001 when I realized that my life couldn’t possibly worthwhile without two wheels and a motor. Returning to the notions of my childhood, I investigated “dual sport” bikes, which are great for long distance street rides and are competent in the dirt. The BMW GS is a de facto bike for traveling the world, on pavement and otherwise (“GS” stands for the German “Gelände Straße” which roughly means cross-county street). I opted for the GS 1150 Adventure and I looked forward to using it both on road and off.

In planning my current trip, I recognized from prior travel that northern Canada and Alaska involve roads that – due to long and tough winters – often offer little more than mud and gravel, at least in certain stretches. I know that the GS is among the best bikes for my trip but since I’ve mostly ridden on pavement, I wanted training in off-road riding. I researched different training options and decided on Jim Hyde’s program.

In Barstow, I had entered the school’s longitude/latitude coordinates in my GPS and I followed a route that approached Los Angeles from the north via route 5 (or “the five” in west coast speak). I had forgotten that the area is mountainous and beautiful. As I glanced frequently west to see the hills and a reservoir, my GPS announced that I would soon need to exit and head west. Good sign that “motorcycle camp” would be in a beautiful setting!

Following the instructions of my GPS I found the entrance to the RawHyde Adventure Camp. Set among the hills I’d seen from “the five,” the driveway to the ranch is an uphill partially-paved, partially-gravel road; I supposed that the weekend’s first lesson would be making it up the driveway. I let a bit of air out of my tires (increases surface area, increasing traction) and rode in. No problem; lesson one complete.

I was one of the first of fifteen students to arrive, but already there were more than a half dozen BMW GSs on site. Without meeting a single person yet, I felt quite at home.

Jim first impressed me as a professional, competent and fun-loving guy; a few more positive adjectives were added to the list over the weekend, including “capable” and “prepared.” As other students arrived, they introduced themselves as restaurant entrepreneurs, wine makers, BMW dealers, producers and artists; a diverse group with diverse riding experience, all friendly, all there to learn and have fun. We met our two instructors, both smiling and confident.

Once everyone had arrived, the parking area was filled with an excellent collection of bikes, mostly newer model BMWs. As vehicle enthusiasts will do when they are among their own kind, we discussed models and gear and other things that would bore you silly if you don’t ride. After examining all the fun gadgets we had each added to our bikes, we realized that it would be best to remove as many parts as possible before hitting (literally) the dirt the next day.

Saturday’s lessons began with discussion of how certain road riding mechanics and perspectives must change for successful off-road riding. Without attempting to repeat the curriculum, things like standing up and keeping a relaxed upper body are important. Things like ABS and countersteering can be bad.

Then it was time to hop on the bikes. Our first drills included riding as slowly as possible (primarily working the clutch), testing both the front and rear brakes to learn when they will begin to lock up and learning how to control a skid.

The next set of drills involved tight turning, then climbing and descending hills. Then all skills were tested in drills that involved tight turns on hills.

Jim had mentioned early on that he strives to not only teach riding skills, but to help people learn the boundaries of what they are capable of and comfortable with riding. In my mind, this is a perfect goal. Since I’m three weeks into a three month trip, my personal goal for the course was to get practice with those situations that I might likely encounter as I travel north. While it would be very fun to ride steep hills and narrow twisty trails, I don’t think that I’ll actually do that on this trip, in part because I’m carrying SO MUCH gear and in part because I want to complete the trip with the same bike I started with. This is a verbose way of justifying that I did not participate in certain of the lessons.

For me, Jim’s goal was completely met; I have learned the skills needed for what I actually plan to do and I can now discern between manageable and unmanageable situations.

It’s definitely worth mentioning that Jim’s curriculum is entirely reasonable - most other students completed most parts of the class, including one or two brand new riders. I’d like to return one day when I can better afford to break something important, and maybe I’ll take the class on a smaller bike.

Other items to mention about Jim’s Adventure Riding Camp: 1) Jim’s ranch is ideal for the course – beautiful and although convenient to LA, remarkably remote, 2) the rapport established among all (students, trainers, staff) is exceptional, 3) the food is excellent and ample and 4) the post-riding bar is delightfully stocked (kudos in part to my wine-making classmate!).

If I had another hand, I’d give it a three thumbs up!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff, Paulman. Keep the great stories coming. Mighty Morphine Power Ranger Twins activate! Form of a bag of ice! Shape of a beer can!